The 5 Best Cat Water Fountains
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission.
Water is an essential nutrient for life in both cats and people. The problem is that cats tend not to drink a lot of water, so dehydration is a very real concern.
Because cats tend to be very self-sufficient, we don’t often worry about the basics like drinking enough water, but the fact is that most cats could benefit from more moisture in their diet.
Increasing the moisture content of your cat’s food is one way to keep it hydrated, but another thing you can do is use a cat water fountain. Keep reading to learn more about cat water fountains and to see our top picks for the best cat water fountains.
Compare Best Cat Water Fountains
1. Drinkwell 360 Stainless Steel Pet Fountain
2. Drinkwell Platinum Plastic Dog & Cat Fountain
3. Catit Flower Plastic Cat Fountain
Best Stainless Steel Water Fountain
4. Pioneer Pet Stainless Steel Dog & Cat Fountain Raindrop Design
5. Domipet Cat Water Fountain Automatic Drinking Water Dispenser
60 or 90 Ounces
5 Adjustable streams
Adjustable free-falling stream
3 Options (flow, bubbling top, streams)
Bubbler or multi-stream
What To Look For In A Cat Water Fountain?
Dehydration is very dangerous for cats and can cause a wide range of problems including urinary stones, kidney problems, digestive issues, and more.
If your cat isn’t drinking enough water, there is a simple thing you can do that might help – install a cat water fountain. Many cats prefer to drink fresh or running water, so simply installing a cat water fountain may be enough to entice your cat to drink.
Here are some important things to look for in a cat water fountain:
- Size – When shopping for cat water fountains, you need to consider both the size and the capacity. A small water fountain may be adequate for one cat, but you’ll need a larger fountain for multi-cat households and homes where dogs are also present.
- Materials – Look for a cat water fountain made from sturdy materials. Stainless steel and plastic are the least likely to break, while ceramic and glass are heavy enough that they are unlikely to tip over. Consider the design and location of the fountain to choose the right materials.
- Design – Some cat water fountains bubble up into a bowl while others trickle down in a stream or steady flow. You may need to try one of each before you determine which your cat likes best.
- Filter – Many cat fountains use replaceable filters to remove chemical impurities to keep the water tasting fresh. It is not a necessity but definitely a bonus.
- Features – Other features to look for include things like adjustable flow settings, replacement filters, and unique designs that may appeal to you and your cat.
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in a cat water fountain, you may be wondering what kind of options are out there. Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best cat water fountains.
When shopping for a cat water fountain, you need to think about several things. First, how many cats do you have and does the fountain need to be large enough to accommodate a dog as well?
Next, think about the materials and how sturdy you need the unit to be. You should also consider the type of flow you think your cat will like – some fountains bubble up while others produce a stream.
Here Are Our Top 5 Picks For The Best Cat Water Fountains:
Drinkwell 360 Stainless Steel Pet Fountain
- Capacity: 1 Gallon
- Flow Settings: 5 Adjustable streams
- Materials: Stainless steel
- Large 1-gallon capacity, perfect for multi-pet households
- Round collection pool with free-falling water, adjustable flow
- Stainless steel construction for durability and to resist bacteria
- Expensive compared to many models
- Large size requires a good deal of space
The Drinkwell 360 Stainless Steel Pet Fountain is an excellent option for multi-pet households because it has a large 1-gallon capacity and is made from ultra-durable stainless steel.
This pet fountain features a large, round bowl with free-falling, 360-degree access to a stream of fresh water.
It also has a receiving ramp with an adjustable flow control to keep the unit from splashing or making too much noise. The submersible pump keeps water moving but also ensures quiet operation while the parts are dishwasher safe for convenience.
Drinkwell Platinum Plastic Dog & Cat Fountain
- Capacity: 1.3 Gallons
- Flow Settings: Adjustable free-falling stream
- Materials: Plastic
- Large 1.3-gallon capacity perfect for multi-cat and multi-pet households
- Patented free-falling water stream with adjustable flow
- Pre-filter catches large particles and carbon filter removes odor and impurities
- Free-falling stream can be noisy, especially if water level is low
- Plastic materials may accumulate bacteria, frequent cleaning is recommended
This fountain features a generous 1.3-gallon capacity, making it a great option for multi-cat households and even multi-pet households.
It is made from lightweight plastic materials that are easy to clean, with an integrated filtration system that uses replaceable carbon filters to remove odor and bad taste.
This unit features a patented free-falling water stream with adjustable flow, keeping the water fresh and enticing your cat to drink.
Plus, the pre-filter catches large waste particles like hair before they can reach the motor. Overall, it’s a great buy for both cat and dog owners.
Catit Flower Plastic Cat Fountain
- Capacity: 3 Liters
- Flow Settings: 3 Options (flow, bubbling top, streams)
- Materials: Plastic
- Generous 3-liter capacity, easy to refill
- Adjustable flow with 3 settings (flow, bubble, stream)
- Advanced triple-action filter keeps water fresh
- Requires some disassembly to clean
- May not fit in with all décor schemes
This fountain comes with a triple-action filter that removes chemical impurities from the water, keeping it safe and tasting fresh for your cat.
Unlike many pet fountains, this model doesn’t have a bowl where dirt can settle – instead, the water is kept fresh at all times and all you have to do is refill it. It is quick and easy to assemble and disassemble for cleaning, and it is made from ultra-safe, BPA-free materials.
Pioneer Pet Stainless Steel Dog & Cat Fountain Raindrop Design
- Capacity: 60 or 90 Ounces
- Flow Settings: Continuous flow
- Materials: Stainless steel
- Stainless steel construction is durable and resists bacteria
- Includes an internal filtration system with charcoal filter
- Comes in 60- and 90-ounce sizes for single or multi-cat households
- Somewhat expensive compared to models of the same size
- Only one option for water flow, continuous stream
The Pioneer Pet Stainless Steel Drinking Fountain Raindrop Design is an excellent option because it is made from stainless steel to resist bacteria.
You’ll also be glad to know that it includes a replaceable charcoal filter to remove impurities, keeping your cat’s water fresh and pure.
This fountain comes in 60- and 90-ounce sizes, so it may not be the best choice for multi-pet households, but it does work well for one or two cats. The stainless-steel parts are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning and the unit is quick and easy to assemble.
Domipet Cat Water Fountain Automatic Drinking Water Dispenser
- Capacity: 2 Liters
- Flow Settings: Bubbler or multi-stream
- Materials: Plastic
- Generous 2-liter capacity with two flow options
- Integrated 4-layer reinforced filtration system removes impurities
- Inconspicuous design and runs very quietly
- Collection bowl is covered, so pets must drink from the bubbler or stream
- Setup instructions could be a little more clear
If you’re looking for a cat water fountain that keeps your cat’s water fresh and pure, try the Domipet Cat Water Fountain Automatic Drinking Water Dispenser.
This fountain offers a 2-liter capacity and features two modes of water flow – a bubbler or customizable streams. Inside the unit you’ll find a 4-layer reinforced filtration system that removes impurities, hair, and odor to keep your cat’s water fresh and clean.
On the outside, the unit features a simple and inconspicuous design, plus it runs very quietly. It isn’t even one of the most expensive cat water fountains on the market!
Tips For Encouraging Your Cat To Drink More Water
Adding wet food to your cat’s diet is a great way to increase the moisture content of its food, but there is no replacement for pure, fresh water.
Some cats simply don’t drink enough, but there are some simple things you can do to encourage your cat to drink such as installing a cat water fountain.
Here are some additional tips to increase the moisture content of your cat’s diet:
- Switch to a wet food diet or start feeding your cat some wet food or a wet food topper along with its daily kibble.
- Put ice cubes in your cat’s kibble on a hot day – it will be a refreshing treat and a boost of hydration for the meal.
- Serve your cat smaller, more frequent meals – eating sometimes makes cats thirsty, so more frequent meals may encourage it to drink more often.
- Put plenty of water bowls around the house – cats like to have options and if water is right nearby, they may be more likely to drink.
- Move your cat’s water bowl away from the litter box – the smell of the box may be turning your cat off from the water.
- Clean and refill your cat’s water bowl regularly (at least once a day) to keep the water fresh.
Many cat owners have success with cat water fountains but if you’re looking for a more cost-effective option, you can simply teach your cat to drink from the faucet.
Place your cat on the counter when you go in the bathroom and turn the faucet on until it drips or drizzles then let your cat drink its fill.
In the end, it is up to you to choose the right cat fountain. Just keep your cat’s size and preferences in mind when thinking about the capacity and materials in your cat fountain.
It never hurts to pick one and try it out – you may be surprised by how much your cat loves it!
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for a cat water fountain, try out one of the top 5 best cat water fountains we’ve reviewed above. Best of luck!