The 5 Best Cat Shampoos And Conditioners
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission.
Most cat owners will agree that bathing a cat doesn’t sound like fun. Cats spend up to 50% of their waking time grooming, so it hardly seems necessary to bathe a cat.
There are times, however, when your cat gets into something messy or has a specific skin issue that is best resolved with a medicated shampoo or conditioner.
Keep reading to learn what to look for when shopping for cat shampoo or conditioner and to learn some simple tips for bathing your cat. You’ll also see our top 5 picks for the best cat shampoo and conditioner.
Compare Best Cat Shampoos And Conditioners
1. Pro Pet Works All Natural Organic 5 in One Oatmeal Pet Shampoo + Conditioner
2. Burt's Bees for Pets Hypoallergenic Shampoo
Best For Kittens
3. TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo
4. Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Conditioner
5. Vet's Best Waterless Cat Bath | No Rinse Waterless Dry Shampoo for Cats
Shampoo and conditioner
Waterless, No Rinse
Organic natural ingredients, soothes dry skin, moisturizes, hypoallergenic
Hypoallergenic, natural ingredients, mild formula, no colors or fragrance
Safe for kittens, soap-free, tear-free, gentle, all-natural ingredients
Natural ingredients, moisturizes, pleasant scent, 100% biodegradable
Dry shampoo, natural ingredients, leave-in, soothes and moisturizes
Oatmeal, aloe vera, vitamin E
Shea butter, honey, beeswax
Oatmeal, aloe extract, coconut cleansers, vitamin E
Oatmeal, aloe vera, shea butter, vanilla extract
Aloe vera, neem oil, micronized oatmeal, vitamin E
What To Look For In Cat Shampoos And Conditioners?
Cat shampoos and conditioners are not all created equal. Some are designed for everyday cleansing and deodorizing, while others are formulated to address specific issues like skin infections. If your cat has skin problems, talk to your vet to diagnose the underlying problem and then choose the best cat shampoo and conditioner accordingly.
Here are some important things to look for in cat shampoos and conditioners:
- Natural ingredients. Avoid shampoos and conditioners made with harsh chemical ingredients, focusing instead on natural moisturizers, gentle cleansers, and essential oils.
- No artificial additives. Ingredients like artificial colors and fragrances provide no benefit for your cat – they just increase the risk of a negative reaction.
- Free from sulfates, alcohol, and parabens. Ingredients like these have the potential to irritate or dry out your cat’s skin, making its skin and coat problems worse instead of better.
- Medicated formula. For skin problems like bacterial or yeast infections as well as fleas, ticks, and other skin issues, a medicated shampoo and conditioner might be the best bet.
- Fragrance-free. Even natural fragrances can irritate your cat’s sensitive nose, so look for a formula that is either fragrance-free or only lightly scented.
Now that you have a better idea what to look for in a cat shampoo or conditioner, it’s time to start shopping! Keep reading to see our top 5 picks for the best cat shampoos and conditioners
The Top 5 Best Cat Shampoos And Conditioners
Because cat shampoo and conditioner come in so many varieties, you can choose the one that is perfect for your cat’s needs. An all-purpose shampoo is ideal for everyday bathing, and conditioner can improve the texture and health of your cat’s coat. For specific issues like fleas, dandruff, or sensitive skin, look for a specialized cat shampoo or conditioner.
Pro Pet Works All Natural Organic 5 in One Oatmeal Pet Shampoo + Conditioner
- Type: Shampoo and conditioner
- Features: Organic natural ingredients, soothes dry skin, moisturizes, hypoallergenic
- Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, aloe vera, vitamin E
- Made from organic, all-natural ingredients in a hypoallergenic formula
- Cleanses and moisturizes dry, sensitive skin and coat
- Free from harsh ingredients like soap, alcohol, sulfates, and fragrances
- Significantly more expensive than many pet shampoos
- Somewhat thin, may not lather as well as some shampoos
Burt's Bees for Pets Hypoallergenic Shampoo
- Type: Shampoo
- Features: Hypoallergenic, natural ingredients, mild formula, no colors or fragrance
- Key Ingredients: Shea butter, honey, beeswax
- Hypoallergenic formula with 97% natural ingredients
- Free from harsh ingredients like parabens, sulfates, and fragrances
- Softens and moisturizes dry skin, restores natural luster to the coat
- May not lather as well as some shampoos
- Some users found the scent unpleasant
TropiClean Hypo-Allergenic Gentle Coconut Puppy & Kitten Shampoo
- Type: Shampoo
- Features: Safe for kittens, soap-free, tear-free, gentle, all-natural ingredients
- Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, aloe extract, coconut cleansers, vitamin E
- All-natural ingredients, gentle enough for kittens and puppies
- Soap-free, made with gentle coconut cleansers
- Mild enough for allergies and sensitive skin or everyday bathing
- Strong coconut smell, some users disliked it
- Doesn’t lather as much as some shampoos
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Conditioner
- Type: Conditioner
- Features: Natural ingredients, moisturizes, pleasant scent, 100% biodegradable
- Key Ingredients: Oatmeal, aloe vera, shea butter, vanilla extract
- Made from all-natural ingredients, 100% biodegradable
- Oatmeal and aloe to moisturize and soothe dry, flaky skin
- Pleasant vanilla almond scent leaves cat smelling fresh and clean
- Contains some fragrance (natural), some find it too strong
- May be tricky to rinse out completely
Vet's Best Waterless Cat Bath | No Rinse Waterless Dry Shampoo for Cats
- Type: Waterless, No Rinse
- Features: Dry shampoo, natural ingredients, leave-in, soothes and moisturizes
- Key Ingredients: Aloe vera, neem oil, micronized oatmeal, vitamin E
- Gentle, no-rinse formula is a practical solution
- Natural ingredients including aloe vera, oatmeal, and vitamin E to soothe skin
- Gently cleans, conditions, and moisturizes the skin and coat
- Not recommended for kittens under 12 weeks
- Contains some fragrance (natural)
Tips For Bathing Your Cat
Cats are notorious for hating water, but there are times when a bath is necessary. Whether your cat has gotten into something messy or has a skin issue you’re trying to treat, the right shampoo and conditioner can work wonders.
Here are some simple tips for bathing your cat:
- Pick a time of day to bathe your cat when it is normally mellow – don’t bathe your cat when it is most active.
- Trim your cat’s claws before bathing to prevent accidental scratching or use silicone nail caps.
- Gather your materials before putting your cat in the bath, so you don’t have to leave in the middle.
- Start by brushing your cat to remove loose fur from the coat.
- Fill the sink with a few inches of warm water then place your cat in it and slowly wet its coat.
- Apply the shampoo and work it into a lather, moving in the direction of hair growth, then rinse thoroughly until all traces of soap residue are gone.
- Towel-dry your cat to remove most of the moisture from its coat – from there, you can use the blow dryer on the lowest heat setting, if your cat will allow it.
- Reward your cat with tasty treats for good behavior.
Bathing your cat is bound to be a bit tricky, but keeping the above tips in mind will help you get through it with minimal bloodshed. Just remember to follow the directions on the shampoo or conditioner to ensure that your cat gets the maximum benefit.
The best cat shampoo and conditioner will be made with gentle ingredients to cleanse, deodorize, and condition your cat’s coat without irritating its delicate skin. Cat shampoos and conditioners come in many varieties, some for everyday bathing and others designed to address specific skin problems. Talk to your vet about which type of product is best for your cat then consider the options reviewed above.
If you’re still not sure where to start in looking for a cat shampoo or conditioner, try out one of the top 5 best options we’ve reviewed above. Good luck!