6 Best Cat Food For Sphynx Cat
This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission.
Every cat is unique, but few have as interesting a look as the Sphynx cat. Bald but beautiful, these hairless cats are known for their wrinkled skin, big ears, and their friendly personalities.
Though its look is exotic, the Sphynx breed is just like any other cat in that it needs a healthy, high-quality diet to thrive.
Compare Best Cat Food For Sphynx Cat
1. Open Farm Herring & Mackerel Rustic Blend Wet Cat Food
2. Smalls Cat Food
Best Dry Cat Food For Sphynx Cats
3. Stella & Chewy's Absolutely Rabbit Dinner Morsels Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Food
Best Wet Cat Food For Sphynx Cats
4. Go! Sensitivity + Shine Grain-Free Duck Recipe Canned Food
Best Grain-Free Cat Food For Sphynx Cats
5. CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Ancestral Freeze-Dried Raw Coated Salmon Formula Dry Cat Food
Best Cat Food For Skin Allergies
6. Tiki Cat Hanalei Luau Wild Salmon in Salmon Consomme Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
750 kcal/kg or 116 kcal/156 g carton
125 kcal/6-oz can
A Bit About Sphynx Cats
Though it may look bald, the Sphynx actually has a fine covering of fuzz all over its body. These cats have an athletic, muscular build and big ears that can grow two to three inches high. This breed is moderately active and has very low grooming needs, making it a great family pet.
Because the Sphynx doesn’t have a protective covering of fur, it is essential to take care of its skin. Skin supporting omega-3 fatty acids are an important part of the diet and this breed needs plenty of protein to maintain its muscular build. These cats also have very high metabolisms, so they may need a cat food with a higher than average fat and calorie content.
The Sphynx is generally a healthy breed with moderate energy levels. The breed is prone to certain health problems, however, including hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and a neurological condition called hereditary myopathy. Increased omega-3 fatty acids content in the cat’s food may help reduce inflammation and support general heart health.
Understanding The Dietary Requirements Of Sphynx Cats
All cats have the same basic requirements for nutrition – they need a high-protein diet with moderate fat content and optimal amounts of essential nutrients.
Cats are obligate carnivores which means that their bodies are adapted to deriving nutrition from animal rather than plant sources. In other words, meat is very important for your Sphynx cat’s nutrition.
High-quality animal protein should be the first ingredient in your cat’s diet. Look for poultry, meat, or seafood as the first ingredient with animal-based fats to provide a concentrated source of energy.
Plant-based fats are acceptable to help balance out the omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids content, but animal fats like chicken fat and salmon oil are best.
In addition to protein and fat, your cat can benefit from fiber and essential vitamins and minerals in his diet.
Fiber can come from limited inclusions of digestible carbohydrates and fresh fruits and vegetables can also act as natural sources for vitamins and minerals. Most commercial cat foods also include synthetic supplements to ensure nutritional balance.
How To Choose The Best Cat Food For Sphynx Cats?
All cat foods are not created equal, so you need to be careful when you start shopping around. Keep in mind that while all cats have the same basic nutritional needs, your Sphynx cat may need more fat and calories than the typical housecat and omega-3 fatty acids are essential for a healthy coat.
Here are some things to look for in the best food for Bengal cats:
- Wholesome, natural ingredients. The quality of your cat’s diet determines how well its body is able to digest it and absorb the nutrients, so look for a cat food recipe made with whole-food ingredients including real meat and fresh produce.
- Premium animal proteins. Animal proteins like meat, poultry, and seafood are much more nutritionally valuable for cats than plant proteins and should make up a minimum of 26% of your cat’s diet. Cats with muscular builds like the Sphynx may need upwards of 30% protein.
- Moderate-to-high fat and calorie content. Your Sphynx cat has a high metabolism and therefore requires more than the minimum 9% fat in its diet. Look for a recipe that contains 12% to 15% fat or more, largely from animal sources like chicken fat and salmon oil.
- Limited carbohydrate content. Cat food should be as low in carbohydrates as possible and any that are included need to come from digestible sources like whole grains and fresh produce.
- Beneficial supplements. Supplemental sources of omega-3s can benefit your Sphynx cat’s skin while probiotics support healthy digestion. You can also look for chelated minerals which are supplements that have been bound to protein molecules for increased absorption.
Now that you have a better understanding of your Sphynx cat’s nutritional needs, you’re ready to start shopping for a new cat food. Keep reading to see our top picks.
Our Top 6 Best Rated Cat Foods For Sphynx Cats Reviewed
Shopping for cat food can be tricky simply because there are so many options to choose from. Take what you’ve learned here and put it to work in looking around for the best cat food for your Sphynx cat.
Open Farm Herring & Mackerel Rustic Blend Wet Cat Food
- Protein: 8% Min
- Fat: 3.5% Min
- Fiber: 2% Max
- Moisture: 82% Max
- Caloric Content: 750 kcal/kg or 116 kcal/156 g carton
- Food Type: Fresh
- Made with whole-food ingredients
- Rich in protein and omega-3s
- Highly digestible
- Contains several plant-based ingredients
- Made with some thickener (agar agar)
Open Farm offer various recipe options that can be customized according to your Sphynx cat’s energy requirements and will be sent to you in perfectly portioned packages.
We chose the Open Farm Herring & Mackerel Rustic Blend Wet Cat Food because it is higher in calories and fat, plus it contains plenty of omega-3 fatty acids to support your cat’s skin.
This recipe features whole-food ingredients and a higher moisture content for improved digestibility, and it is always delivered fresh to your door.
Smalls Cat Food
- Protein: 21.2% Min
- Fat: 8.05% Min
- Fiber: 0.4% Max
- Moisture: 66.1% Max
- Caloric Content: 550 kcal/package
- Fresh chicken (thigh and breast) as first two ingredients
- High in moisture for digestion and hydration
- Free from grains and fillers
- Low carbohydrate content (estimated under 2%)
- Doesn’t come proportioned in daily meals
- Some cats may be sensitive to chicken ingredients
Choose from a variety of wet food formulas including minced foods and pates, made with real animal proteins like chicken, turkey, and beef. Smalls also offers a selection of freeze-dried food and treats, all of which can be delivered right to your door in convenient monthly shipments.
If you’re looking for a nutritious, highly digestible cat food made with ingredients you can feel good about, Smalls is a brand worth considering.
Stella & Chewy's Absolutely Rabbit Dinner Morsels Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Food
- Protein: 44% Max
- Fat: 30% Max
- Fiber: 5% Min
- Moisture: 5% Min
- Caloric Content: 131 kcal/ounce
- Crafted with farm-fresh ingredients
- Real rabbit first ingredient
- Blend of omega fatty acids
- Expensive compared to most commercial options
- First fat is plant-based (olive oil)
Each recipe is crafted in small batches with farm-fresh ingredients like real rabbit to deliver a hefty dose of high-quality animal protein. This formula contains only fresh, natural ingredients and is supplemented to ensure complete and balanced nutrition.
You’ll also be glad to know that it contains a whopping 44% protein and 30% fat, including a blend of omega fatty acids for skin support. Overall, it contains 131 kcal/ounce which is plenty to maintain your cat’s metabolism.
Go! Sensitivity + Shine Grain-Free Duck Recipe Canned Food
- Protein: 9% Min
- Fat: 7% Min
- Fiber: 1% Max
- Moisture: 78% Max
- Caloric Content: 156 kcal/can
- Real duck as first ingredient
- Limited number of main ingredients
- Supplemented with omega-3s
- First source of fat is plant-based (flaxseed)
Not only is it made with a limited selection of natural ingredients, but it is packed with omega-3 fatty acids for skin and coat support. This recipe features real duck as the first ingredient and a premium source of animal-based protein.
It is also rich in antioxidants from natural sources like fresh fruits and vegetables which are also great sources of key vitamins and minerals. This recipe is rich in fiber for healthy digestion and supplemented with chelated minerals to ensure optimal nutrition absorption as well as complete and balanced nutrition.
It is also formulated with plenty of moisture to keep your cat hydrated and to support its urinary and digestive health.
CANIDAE Grain-Free PURE Ancestral Freeze-Dried Raw Coated Salmon Formula Dry Cat Food
- Protein: 40% Min
- Fat: 18% Min
- Fiber: 3.5% Max
- Moisture: 9% Max
- Caloric Content: 523 kcal/cup
- Packed with premium animal proteins
- Very high in omega-3 fatty acids
- Highly digestible
- Expensive compared to most commercial options
- May be too high in calories for some cats
This recipe consists of high-protein kibble with a freeze-dried raw coating that adds a boost of flavor and nutrition.
It is packed with premium proteins like salmon, tuna, and whitefish which are also ingredients loaded with skin-supporting omega-3 fatty acids.
This formula is made with 40% protein and 18% fat, plus it contains a whopping 523 calories per cup. Simply put, if you’re looking for a high-quality dry food made with premium ingredients and packed with protein, fat, and calories, look no further.
Tiki Cat Hanalei Luau Wild Salmon in Salmon Consomme Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
- Protein: 14% Min
- Fat: 2% Min
- Fiber: 0% Max
- Moisture: 81% Max
- Caloric Content: 125 kcal/6-oz can
- Real salmon cooked in salmon broth
- Blend of omega fatty acids
- Chelated mineral supplements
- Could be higher in fat content
- First source of fat is plant-based (sunflower seed oil)
This Tiki Cat Hanalei Luau Wild Salmon in Salmon Consommé Canned Food is an affordable option in canned cat food that is made with high-quality ingredients and provides plenty of protein and omega fatty acids.
This recipe features real salmon cooked in a flavorful salmon broth, making it not only a moisture-rich but a flavor-rich recipe as well.
It contains a blend of omega fatty acids to support your cat’s skin condition as well as vitamin and mineral supplements to ensure complete and balanced nutrition.
Plus, many of the minerals are chelated to increase absorption. You’ll also notice that this recipe contains 0% fiber which means that it contains no carbohydrate ingredients.
The Sphynx is an elegant and unique breed of cat, both in terms of its appearance and its requirements for care. These cats are not overly active, but they do have a high metabolism and their lack of fur means they need more fat and calories to stay warm.
The best cat food for Sphynx cats will be made from high-quality, natural ingredients including premium animal proteins, healthy fats, and essential nutrients. Now that you understand your cat’s needs and know what to look for, you can start shopping! If you’re still not quite ready, start with one of our top-rated picks for the best cat food for Sphynx cats.